- PRODUCT CATEGORIES
- NEW Products
- SALE %
- Fly Fishing for Hucho
- Fly Fishing in Autumn
- Fly Fishing for Grayling
The right leader for fly fishing
- RIO Trout Fly Lines
- Season Start - Tackle Check
- Fly Fishing for Beginners
- RIO SlickCast & ConnectCore Plus
- Fly Fishing for Carp
- Fly Fishing with Mayflies
- SAGE R8 Technology
- Fly Fishing for Pike
- Czech Nymphing
- Trout Spey Fly Fishing
- Advantages of Trout Trap Nymphs
- Fly Fishing in Saltwater
- Fly Fishing for Bonefish
- Accessories Recommendations
- HANAK Competition
- Fly Fishing for Trout with Hopper Flies
- Flyfishers from foreign countries
- Fishing for Whitefish
- Fly Tying
- Fly Fishing
- QUICK ORDER
Construction and structure of a fly leader
The reason for this taper is better physical force transmission when throwing. Ultimately it's about being able to present a fly well. Manufacturers vary in the structure of the taper. Modern manufacturing technologies mean that tapered leaders can be made from nylon or fluorocarbon. In the past, this taper was forced to be achieved using braided leaders. These leaders are still fully justified today.
Strength and Diameters of fly leadersWe recommend that you pay attention to the tensile strength of the different manufacturers, as there are enormous differences. The most commonly used leader thickness, i.e. the tip diameter at the front end of the leader, is 0.16 mm (5X) when fly fishing for trout and grayling with a dry fly or nymph.
For larger fish and dusty water you can also fish with 0.18mm. 0.21mm to 0.25mm is more suitable for streamer fishing.
Tapered Fly Leaders: Nylon vs Fluorocarbon
Tapered Fly Leaders:
Full-function leaders: perfect for every purpose
The full-function leaders developed by TRAUN RIVER are mostly so-called “furled leaders”, i.e. braided fly leaders. These leaders also have a small loop at the end of the fly line for easy handling.
Full-function fly leaders have the following positive properties:
- extremely versatile
- Made by hand from high quality nylon
- Outstanding stretch and rolling properties thanks to taper construction
- durable and robust
- with loop connection to the flying line
- with integrated leader ring for exchanging the leader tips
Specialty leaders: Poly-Leader and Predator
Leader material: the right connection to the fish
In addition to the right fly leader, the right leader material is crucial. The leader material is used to extend the life of a tapered leader. As a rule, a leader ring is used here. This allows you to re-tie the tip part of the leader again and again.
We also recommend that you pay attention to good quality and high tensile strengths when it comes to leader material.
Helpful accessoires for fly fishing:
A proper clip/nipper can help enormously, especially when tying streamer flies. A leader stretcher also helps to get a twisted leader straight again.
Here you can find additional, helpful accessoires!
Important tools - Must Haves
We have put together a few must-have products for you. We diligently use all of these products ourselves and are absolutely convinced of them.
- "Fly Grease" - Is there enough left in your Nev-R-Sink bottle?
- Leader spools - is there enough leader material left on your 0.16mm spool?
- Polarized sunglasses? Where was she again? We recommend glasses from AQUILA.